The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is a “think, do, replicate” tank that investigates digital transformation best practice at the national, regional, and global level. We combine practical research with evidence-based advocacy to identify which digital efforts work, package them as re-usable solutions and encourage their use.
DIAL is funded through a collaboration among the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCDO) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
The Program Manager plays an important role in fostering the sound program management by supporting DIAL’s objectives, programs and activities. The Program Manager acts as a thought partner with senior leads and technical leads to support DIAL’s work by development and maintaining annual budgets and workplans. The Program Manager’s responsibilities include managing the program lifecycle so key projects are delivered on time, within scope and within budget. This individual will facilitate coordination among programs within objectives and serve as an integration point with other programs and objectives in the organizational structure. This individual will also work closely with other units such as the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning to ensure a data-driven approach to program planning. She/he will oversee all operational related aspects of their programs while managing deadlines, assigning responsibilities, and/or delegating as necessary and monitor the progress of the program against the results framework and key performance indicators on a routine basis.
This is a U.S. based position with preference to Washington D.C.
- Provide direction of the overall program lifecycle, partnering closely with technical leads to ensure delivery within time, scope and budget with risks addressed
- Demonstrates awareness of DIAL’s objectives and trends that may affect implementation of the organization’s strategy while also communicating dependencies of changes to other teams
- Partner with Senior Directors and program leads on overall management to deliver on programs, projects, and annual Board commitments
- Manage conversations with internal and external partners, escalating issues when needed
- Leads the development and review of program budgets, working closely with program leads on recommended budget tradeoffs where necessary and developing assumptions that drive budget estimates
- Regularly reviews and uses data from budget versus actuals to inform key budget decisions
- Guides assigned program teams through the annual work planning and budgeting process
- Partners with Senior Director, Programs & Operations and leads on RFPs and RFAs where necessary
- Facilitates process for teams to document narrative reports on a routine basis that can be used for quarterly donor reports and the annual organizational report
- Ensures key data are incorporated into workplan updates on a routine basis
- Works closely with Senior Associate, Programs & Operations on knowledge management process
- Maintain working knowledge of the UN Foundation’s agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly
- Facilitates development processes in partnership with teams on contracts, grants and other legal documents while maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed
- Partners with leads on the management of vendors’ contractual obligations to ensure timely delivery of deliverables
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports
- Other duties as assigned
- 8 years of program management preferred
- 4-6 years of relevant experience with the management of government and multi-lateral contracts; FCDO, Sida or BMGF preferred
- Demonstrated success at collaborative problem solving and flexibility to create a roadmap of the “what” and “why” of the program management process
- Demonstrated expertise in program management shown through managing multiple complex projects and programs simultaneously; certification in Project Management for Development (PMDPro) or similar preferred
- Exceptional time-management, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent teamwork/management including internal and written communication skills; ability to maintain a stabilizing presence when confronted with conflicting demands
- Supports decision making in matrix management
- Proven budgeting skills, optimizing cost allocations across multiple donors and management burn rates
- Experience costing and supporting proposals
- Experience working across functions as part of a large organization; international work experience preferred
- Experience sourcing vendors, negotiating contract terms, and modifying grant and contract agreements
- Demonstrated proficiency in Office 365 tools, including Excel, PPT, in addition to program management tools and Salesforce
- Demonstrated interest in technology-for-development sector strongly preferred
- Fluency in spoken and written English required; knowledge of other languages preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant major/concentration
- This is a U.S. based position with preference to Washington D.C.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.